Find Your Cover
Single trip
Annual cover


Van Hire Excess Insurance

Hiring a van may be the perfect solution should you require a sizeable amount of space to transport objects. Such situations may include removals, making home improvements or for commercial use such as starting up a business.

Whatever the reason be sure to protect yourself from hefty excess fees by taking out van hire excess insurance.

Road to Mount Fuji, Japan

What is van hire excess insurance?

Within Europe it is common practice for vehicle hire companies to include car insurance, also known as collision damage waiver (CDW) & loss damage waiver (LDW), as part of their rental policy. This is not so common outside of Europe and therefore this may have to be purchased separately. Nowhere is this compulsory so before hiring a vehicle it is very important you understand what cover is included within your rental agreement. Whether included as part of your rental policy or bought separately, Van insurance will cover you against damages such as accidents and thefts. However, if you incur any damages and want to make a claim, you are almost always liable to pay a fee before the insurance company will settle the costs of the damages.

This fee is known as an excess fee. It can range well into the thousands of pounds, depending on the insurer and extent of the damage. Luckily, an insurance policy known as vehicle hire excess insurance (also referred to as a vehicle excess wavier) will protect you from these hefty fees in return for a very reasonable day rate, very often under £5 per day.

Why Buy from

  No additional driver charges

  No unnecessary expensive add-ons

   Buy in just 2 minutes

Why buying van hire excess insurance online can often be a better solution?

Many vehicle hire companies may offer excess insurance which can be purchased directly through them. However, these policies can often be much more expensive than third party online alternatives and many do not even cover the entire excess cost, in which case you would still be liable to pay a portion of the excess fee in the event that you had to make a claim for damages.

Policy Documents

The world offers so many opportunities for great driving holidays. Whether driving along the Great Ocean Road in Victoria, Australia or skirting along the Garden Route in South Africa there is no shortage of asphalt to pound.

Our policies offer coverage for accidental damage, fire, vandalism and theft as well as covering you for damage to the windows and tyres. However, before buying and travelling you should familiarise yourself with all the details and exclusions our worldwide policy offers by carefully reading our policy and key fact documents.

Single Trip Policy Wording

Annual Policy Wording

Key Facts - Policy Wording

Car Hire Excess Around the World


Our UK and European insurance policy is perfect for family driving holidays or weekends away in the countryside in a hire car. If you are planning on making multiple trips to Europe this year or are planning on hiring a car for more than 17 days then our annual policy will work out cheaper for you.

worldwide-mount cook new zealand-375x200

If you are traveling to Australia, South Africa or somewhere else far flung then you’ll need our Worldwide excess insurance policy. If you are planning on hiring a car for three weeks or more then you should get our annual policy as it will work out cheaper than our 21 day daily policy.

usa-monument-valley-min 375x200

Traveling to USA, Canada, Mexico or South America? Car hire insurance is slightly different in these places as it does not include Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) in the policy, commonly included in the UK and Europe. Our policy has you covered with CDW included in our USA & Canada policies.

UK & Europe: Single
UK & Europe: Annual
World (ex. USA): Single
World (ex. USA): Annual
World (inc USA): Single
World (inc USA): Annual

All prices include IPT