Find Your Cover
Single trip
Annual cover


USA Car Hire Excess Insurance

Car hire insurance in the USA is slightly different to hiring a car in the UK or Europe. In a lot of instances car hire insurance, which also known as collision damage waiver, is not included within your car rental agreement. It is important therefore to ensure you are covered before your trip.

Read about USA car hire excess insurance to ensure you have sufficient car hire insurance cover.

Monument Valley, Utah, USA

USA Car Hire Excess Insurance Cover

In the USA, car hire insurance or collision damage waiver (CDW) and third party liability insurance (SLI/ALI) often are not included in the cost of your rental. So, should you have an accident or damage your hire car will be liable for the costs of damage to both your vehicle and any third parties involve.

To solve this problem we’ve created a car hire insurance policy especially for the USA. It covers you for issues arising from your hire car and any third party claims, all will no excess!

 Collision Damage Waiver (CDW & LDW) up to £100,000
 Excess for damage, fire, vandalism and theft up to £6,000 per incident
 Any damage to windows, undercarriage, roof, tyres
 Lost, stolen or damaged car rental key cover up to £500 per claim
 Towing costs from breakdown or accidental damage

Misfueling cover
Out of standard hours charges due to a delayed flight
Unlimited number of rentals per year of up to 30 days at a time
 You and anyone named on the car hire rental agreement are covered
✔ Available to everyone aged 21-85 with a valid UK driving licence

Why Buy from

  No additional driver charges

  No unnecessary expensive add-ons

   Buy in just 2 minutes

What is different about USA car hire excess insurance?

When you hire a car in the USA insurance for driving often is not included in the cost of the rental, as it is here in the UK or in Europe. So in order to ensure you are covered in the event of an accident or collision you need to buy hire car insurance. Car hire insurance goes by several names in the USA but is essential split into two different parts:

  1. Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) & Loss Damage Waiver (LDW)
  2. Supplementary Liability Insurance (SLI). Also known as Additional Liability Insurance (ALI) or Third Party Liability Insurance

Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) & Loss Damage Waiver (LDW – as the name suggests this covers you in the event of damage to or loss/theft of the hire car vehicle. This is any accidental damage caused by an accident, fire, vandalism, theft to your rental car. Our policy covers you for up to £100,000 for any damages with no excess due.

Supplementary Liability Insurance (SLI) – this is your cover for any bodily injuries or damage caused to third parties in the event of an accident. So if you were to be involved in an accident that was your fault and claim for whiplash was made by a driver of another car SLI will cover you for this scenario, again with no excess due.

Excess Insurance Around the World


Our UK and European insurance policy is perfect for family driving holidays or weekends away in the countryside in a hire car. If you are planning on making multiple trips to Europe this year or are planning a hiring a car for more than 17 days then our annual policy will work out cheaper for you.

worldwide-mount cook new zealand-375x200

If you are traveling to Australia, South Africa or somewhere else far flung then you’ll need our Worldwide excess insurance policy. If you are planning on hiring a car for three weeks or more then you should get our annual policy as it will work our cheaper than our 21 day daily policy.

usa-monument-valley-min 375x200

Traveling to USA, Canada, Mexico or South America? Car hire insurance is slightly different in these places as it does not include Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) in the policy, commonly included in the UK and Europe. Our policy has you covered with CDW included in our USA & Canada policies.


Do I need CDW and LDW if I'm driving in the USA?

While not universally compulsory a lot of car hire companies will not let you drive without CDW or LDW. This is usually available to buy at the car rental desk but is can cost as much as £25 per day – sometimes more than the cost of renting the car. If there is a requirement for CDW and/or LDW in the rental agreement then they may ask to see your CDW/LDW policy at the rental desk prior to letting you.

Remember: CDW/LDW is NOT a requirement in the UK and Europe and usually it is included in the cost of your rental. So if you buy our cost saving car hire excess insurance policies for Europe or the UK, then remember to inform the car hire company you do not wish to purchase their excess insurance. No need to show them your excess insurance policy documents.

What if I don't buy CDW or LDW and it is not compulsory as part of the rental agreement?

If you decide to travel and drive without CDW or LDW then you will be liable for the entire cost of any issues arising in the event of damage, theft, loss or fire of your rental vehicle. These costs can run into the thousands and may be as high as replacing the entire vehicle in the event theft of the car hire vehicle.

Why do I need hire car excess insurance?

How does excess insurance function?